1. You should be here, Nature has need of you.
2. She has been laid waste. Smothered by the smog,
3. The flowers are mute, and the birds are few
4. In a sky slowing like a dying clock.
5. All hopes of Proteus rising from the sea
6. Have sunk; he is entombed in the waste
7. we dump. Triton’s notes struggle to be free,
8. his famous horns are chocked, his eyes are dazed,
9. And Neptune lies helpless as bleached whale
10. While insatiate man moves in for the kill.
11. Poetry and piety have begun to fail,
12. As Nature’s mighty heart is lying still.
13. see the wound widening in the sky,
14.God is labouring to utter
his last cry